The Book Publishers Association of Alberta is now accepting submissions for the 2013 Alberta Book Publishing Awards. These awards celebrate excellence in book publishing in Alberta. We look forward to your entries and participation in the 2013 Awards.
This year we are pleased to invite applications for the following awards:
- Book of the Year, in six categories - Children and Young Adult, Educational, Trade Fiction, Trade Non-Fiction, Scholarly and Academic and Poetry;
- Book Design, in three categories - Book, Book Cover, and Illustration;
- Lois Hole Award for Editorial Excellence, recognizing outstanding editorial work;
- Alberta Book Publishing Achievement Award, recognizing long-standing contributions made to Alberta book publishing;
- Alberta Emerging Publisher; and
- Alberta Publisher of the Year.
Please include a Payment Form with your completed submissions.
The deadline for submissions is Friday, January 18, 2013. Follow the links above for more information and to download the submission forms. The Awards Gala will be held in Edmonton.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the BPAA office at (780) 424-5060, firstname.lastname@example.org
Publishers do not have to be members of the BPAA to apply but must meet eligibility guidelines as follows.
A publisher will:
have its chief office of business located in Alberta;
be at least 80% beneficially owned by Canadian citizens or landed immigrants, or be fully owned and controlled by Canadian institutions or associations that are 80% controlled by Canadian citizens or landed immigrants;
have effective managerial and editorial control by people domiciled in Alberta, and financial control in the hands of people living in Canada; and
publish original Canadian books as a primary and not an occasional activity.
Except where noted, all awards are decided by an independent jury. Jurors are recruited by the BPAA Awards Committee and the BPAA membership is surveyed for recommendations.
Please review the submission guidelines for each individual award or group of awards.